Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Monique Donckers (61)










Monique writes:
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January 2008 at the age of 54 ( I was about to throw a big birthday-party as my year of birth is 1954, but this turned out differently). I had a mastectomy and chemo and radiation treatment.
I had many difficulties getting used to the one-breasted-body, and the boldness. It was hard to deal with the person in the mirror, so I started to collect wigs in all sorts of colors and shapes, and took photographs of every transformation of my body during the 8 months of treatment.
I am a sculptress really, but as I was too sick to do the heavy work, I tried to make some oil-paintings from the photographs that I took.
So this is what you see here, a story of a short period in my life, where the body changed drastically, and where I became estranged from both my body and myself.
I am happy to say that today I feel re-born, this whole experience has made me very much more aware of ‘life’.